Sunday 12 April 2015

Vegan Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies

     Last week I tried out a couple new recipe ideas. Some of them turned out so-so and need a bit more work, but these dark chocolate cookies I made are perfect just the way they are! And once I (and a close group of my friends...and Ryan's co-workers) give the seal of approval, it's time for you guys to give them a try and tell me what you think. 


     These cookies have a lot of substance to them. In addition to the fresh espresso, they also have cranberries and almond pieces which really make these cookies stand out. Oh, and of course there are chunks of chocolate. I decided it was time to make a chocolate chunk cookie mostly because I had a ton of dark chocolate left over from Easter. I've had the idea for this recipe as a note in my recipe book from before I even had a blog (I knew what was up) and I figured it was about time I tried to make my chicken scratch into something delicious.


     If you're not a big fan of espresso, don't be alarmed, it is not over powering at all but rather ties the chocolate and the cranberries together perfectly. If you taste the batter (and please do, it is delicious!) you can really taste the espresso, but baking breaks down some of the espresso aromatics, and makes the cookie almost more savory. I've got a similar recipe that doesn't have the espresso, but has the same ratio of flour to sugar, and they taste much more sweet. 

Serves: 3 dozen
Time: Prep 20 minutes; Cook 11 minutes

Ingredients


  • 1 cup vegan margarine
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 espresso (If you like espresso pull two double shots, otherwise pull a  long double shot)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 100g dark chocolate, chunked (about 1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup chopped or sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preparation



  1. Preheat oven to 375°F/ 190°C and prepare a large baking or cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream margarine with brown and white sugar. Slowly whisk or mix in espresso and vanilla until smooth.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder and leavening agents.
  4. Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix well.
  5. Add in the goodies: chunks of chocolate, cranberries and almond pieces and mix to combine.
  6. Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, scoop balls of delicious batter onto the cookie sheet, leaving about an inch and a half between the cookies.
  7. Bake at 375°F/ 190°C for 9-11 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  9. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment