DressingMakes about 1 1/2 cups of dressing, slightly more than you will need for one head of iceberg
- 1 5-6" piece of ginger root, peeled
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white onion
- 1 small clove of garlic or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1-3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Roughly chop the ginger root.
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor, start with only 1 Tbsp of water, and add more to thin out the dressing if desired.
- Blend until smooth.
- If you add too much water and want to make it a bit thicker, add some more ginger and tomato paste.
- Taste, add a bit of salt or more soy sauce if needed.
- Transfer dressing to a mason jar, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, cut or ripped to size
- Handful of washed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh sprouts
- 5 spears of asparagus, shaved or cut thinly
- 1/4 cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot, shaved or julienned
- 2-3 green onions, greens chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed
- toasted sesame seeds
The first two ingredients in this salad are the most important. The crunch of the iceberg and the fresh citrus notes of the cilantro are a must. As for the rest of the ingredients, feel free to take some creative liberty when dressing your salad.
Combine first set of ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Add the avocado before dressing/serving and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
This salad is perfect along side a stir fry, some home-made sushi or spring rolls. Yum!